Habitat Photos - 100+ foot Pritchardia schattaueri

Dypsisdean

Administrator
Staff member
28/09/07
These palms were discovered on actor Jimmy Stewart's ranch in Kona here on the Big Island, Hawaii years ago. George Schattauer was clearing the land with a bulldozer, and because he was a "plant guy," recognized them as something that maybe should be saved. Subsequent analysis verified them as a distinct species. There was no regeneration, due to rats, cows, pigs, goats, whatever, and there were only ten or so plants.

And being on private property, trying to save the species has been problematic. But many seeds have been planted elsewhere now, and there are enough trees around Kona that they have a good chance of hanging around.

We got permission and took a hike up to check them out not too long ago, and here are a couple of pics. I plan on doing a more in depth article with many more pics when I get a chance.

That one tree is estimated at over 100 ft
Garret1.jpg Garrett3.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Habitat Photos - Pritchardia schattaueri

Wow, that's great DeanO! That's the tallest Pritchardia I've ever seen. My small one is slow as a young plant. I'm very interested in hearing more in your article. Keep us posted.

Re: Habitat Photos - 100 foot Pritchardia schattaueri

Wow I better move mine.

These palms were discovered on actor Jimmy Stewart's ranch in Kona here on the Big Island, Hawaii years ago. George Schattauer was clearing the land with a bulldozer, and because he was a "plant guy," recognized them as something that maybe should be saved. Subsequent analysis verified them as a distinct species. There was no regeneration, due to rats, cows, pigs, goats, whatever, and there were only ten or so plants.

And being on private property, trying to save the species has been problematic. But many seeds have been planted elsewhere now, and there are enough trees around Kona that they have a good chance of hanging around.

We got permission and took a hike up to check them out not too long ago, and here are a couple of pics. I plan on doing a more in depth article with many more pics when I get a chance.

That one tree is estimated at over 100 ft.

always nice to see a new specie and with only 10 trees rare

I'm curious how long it takes to get to 100 feet. Mine is less than 100 feet from the house, although a decent amount downhill.
I have a feeling there are a lot of other things that would be more worthy of worry. :)

I think that would be way off in your distant future, if you were ever lucky enough to have it happen. The other trees were old as well, and they were in the 60 ft range - so this one was the grand daddy of the bunch.

Hmm. I see that a Ceroxylon on the net- and you all must have seen it- was claimed to be 200' tall. And i posted that I didn't think it had reached that great a height. Maybe the species do or did..but the one posted on all the boards didn't seem twice the taller Washies in California.
That Pritchardia is more like the Ceroxylon posted. And even if 100' is a low estimate,its more realistic. It would be interesting if somebody with better skills at photoshop- then my none- could post this photo and the other side by side.

Interesting Stan - after seeing this palm with my own eyes, I just can't imagine how a palm could be twice this tall and still be structurally strong and sound enough to stay up.