Can anyone ID this one for me?

junglegal

Esteemed Member
30/03/08
I picked this one up recently. The seller had no idea of an ID and I'm still terrible with crotons. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• croton ID.jpg
    croton ID.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 173
Based on the older leaves and the shape of the newer ones, I would say this is President Reagan. All of mine have the same leaf shape after the cold. The trident-shaped leaves have lost their shoulders.

Attachments

• P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 141
You are right Borgy; it is definitely Irresistible! You know your crotons man! End of controversy?

OK, can we put this one to bed based on the updated pic? I just updated the WIKI with the other ID'd President Reagans from Jeff Searle and Marie Nock and I still can't be sure on this one!!

Plant in question is front and center, a couple stop light leaves got in the way on the upper left. Plant gets limited mid morning sun and very filtered afternoon.

Attachments

• prez.jpg
    prez.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 117
Bren,
It's similar but I don't think it's the same. Has it colored up since you took the picture? Seeing it with color might help with the ID. It's a beauty - sorry I don't know it.
Marie

Thanks Marie, it actually was taken yesterday. I neglected to reset the date on my camera. I'll give it a little more sun and check back in

Bump for Judy Glock since she bought my auction plant from this one.
Since these pics, it's throwing really oak like leaves. I'll take updated pics soon but the light is really crappy right now.
Anyone have pics of their irresistible for comparison? I've ruled out Prez Reagan, just don't see the resemblance on anything I've seen up to now. Not that my newbie observations mean squat :D

Here are pics of what I purchased as Pres. Reagan last fall at the USF sale. This plant is growing in heavy sun, Brens plant looks diffrent.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 91
Some updated pics from this morning...the leaves are all over the place. Broad, semi oak, oak. The only thing consistent is the spots

Attachments

• 101_0731.jpg
    101_0731.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 101_0730.jpg
    101_0730.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 101_0729.jpg
    101_0729.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 101_0728.jpg
    101_0728.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 88
I still say irrestiable, maybe thats sporting? look at the old leaves, the shape, pattern, colors are deffinilty Irresistable, the new ones look totally different. will they change?

Rob,
I've never seen irresistable, it's not in the wiki yet nor listed in Dr. Brown's book. Do you have a pic for comparison?

Here's mine. Keep in mind that almost ALL of the leaves are from after this past winter. I cut everything back to bare stems as this plant is on the north side of the garden and was beat up by the wind. I believe you may have both President Reagan and Irresistible in the same pot. The one thing I've noticed on the Irresistible is that one shoulder is blunt and the other sharp - notice the detail in the third picture. But there are so many leaves on yours that also look like many of the President Reagans I have in the ground that I'm thinking you have 2 plants in the same pot.

Attachments

• P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 92
  • P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 98
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 88
  • P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 113
Ricky, thanks for the pics.
Yours look so red and more upright than mine but it could be because I did not have it in strong enough light. I've since moved it into strong morning light with dappled afternoon shade. We'll see what becomes of it.
You may be right, there may be a couple plants in this container. There are currently 5 stems minus the one Judy bought at auction. Perhaps I'll divide them in spring and see what happens too. Maybe President Reagan hit on Irresistible ans I've got the best of both now. :p