Who's going to Spring Extravaganza?

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
At the Fall Extravaganza at Searle Brothers Nursery, there were alot of crotonheads there. Who is planning on going this weekend? :rolleyes:

I will be there for the 8:00 am opening of the gates and the dash to the croton area! :eek:

Ron,

Thank-you, I really appreciate you starting this thread. And I certainly enjoyed seeing everyone come last October to look over the crotons that I had to offer. But....unlike then, I had hundreds of large airlayers I did last summer and almost all of these sold at the sale. Which leaves me very few for this weekend. I also have smaller size plants grown from cuttings too. The other problem is, the cold knocked off many of the leaves and I will not have some of these to put out as well. So, I'm sorry to say, the selection will be less, as well as the total amount of plants. I will be putting on many,many airlayers this summer, so again this fall's sale I will have a big selection again. The spring sale will always be smaller than the fall sale. But, I hope to see many of you this weekend!

Thanks,

Jeff

Randy - it would not be any fun with you, me and TikiRiki the only ones in the "Croton Mosh Pit". :eek:
I really want to get a "Pop's Yard". The one by Jeffs pool is stunning! :cool:

Get there by 8am, there's only two plants for offer.

Well, it has been an extreamly fast pace of work, excitment, and anticipation these last 3 or 4 days. But, were all ready. We've been getting lots of phone calls ( due to our ad in the newspaper ) this week. Were all set up, now if only would warm up. But everyone I've talked to says the same thing, their waiting for spring, and need to replace plant material in their yards.

Gee Ron, Thanks for telling everyone. I thought I only had to run faster than you. Now you've alerted the competition:D

I won't be beating anyone to the crotons this year. I'll be hangin' out while the hubby shops till he drops.... and that's if we're lucky enough to go!

So you all can have dibs on the Pops Yard.... this time....

But just wait till October. I'll be back to my evil croton-manic ways hehe :D

How did Mike Harris have a full load of Crotons by 8:07 am??? :rolleyes:

Didn't see TikiRiki, but Randy and Ron (Rozpalm) were in a buying frenzy!

Here is a list of cultivars I got:

Jungle Queen (yeah!)
Lord Bellhaven
President Reagan (yeah!)
Glenn Roof (Yeah!)
Yellow Mrs. Iceton
Judy's Beauty - named after our own Judy Glock!!!
Leo Pardia
Pop's Yard - the last one (yeah!)
Fishbone
Purity
Jean Frances Fascell
Lemon & Lime

;)

Ron
I wonder if Leo Pardia is Leopardina?

Hi Marie,

That's interesting. It sure sounds like it could be the same croton, but when Bob Alonzo passed through a few months back, I don't remember him saying it this way. I wonder if both ways of spelling it are acceptable. I'll have to look into this.

Hey Ron,

Good to see you again and you really got some good crotons there. The Jungle Queens were really nice size.
I think I had like 3 or 4 crotons left today from all the ones that were put out. I noticed you were drinking alot during the sale. It must of been all that running around looking for that one, rare of kind. You worked up quite a sweat!

Thanks to all of you that stopped by, it was once again nice talking to all of you. See you in the fall. Well.....are there any society meetings/tours scheduled for this spring/summer yet?

Jeff

Some of the new stuff (in containers) is mixed in with Crotons in the ground. I'll get better pictures later! :)

Jeff, excellent question. I think we need to persue a venue on the east coast. Our croton friends on the west coast have had a rough go with the weather this winter. A crotonhead get together is what we all need!!! :rolleyes:

Attachments

• aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 173
  • bb.jpg
    bb.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 177
  • cc.jpg
    cc.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 181
Tim Anderson at Palm Hammock had offered to host a meeting in the Spring but that was berfore he broke his foot. I don't know how he's doing . When we were at his place in late fall, his crotons looked great and he has a lot of his own hybrids that are wonderful.

Tim Anderson at Palm Hammock had offered to host a meeting in the Spring but that was berfore he broke his foot. I don't know how he's doing . When we were at his place in late fall, his crotons looked great and he has a lot of his own hybrids that are wonderful.

Marie,

I think it sounds like a wonderful idea. Count me in if it's a go. Tim has a nice nursery and it's been a long time since my last visit.