Butia Hybrid Pictures

Hi scott,
I am new here and this is my first post.

I'm totally fascinated of your hybrids! :)
Are you also giving seeds or seedlings away?

My most cared palm at the moment is a butia x parajubaea that I am going to plant out in a couple of month.

Marcel

Marcel,

Welcome --- Not everyone may realize where you are from. Your IP seems to indicate you are from Czechoslovakia. Is that correct?

Hopefully Scott will be able to help you in your quest for cold hardy palms.

Hi scott,
I am new here and this is my first post.

I'm totally fascinated of your hybrids! :)
Are you also giving seeds or seedlings away?

My most cared palm at the moment is a butia x parajubaea that I am going to plant out in a couple of month.

Marcel

Marcel, Welcome to Palmpedia ! At this time I have no seeds. I will be working on the cross again when the Butia flowers again this summer. I am watching the 100+ seedlings (from the Butia that produces the natural hybrids) close for hybrids. I will be happy to send seedlings to you as I have done for others in the past. Scott

Here is a picture of palm raised from Butiagrus seed ( same palm as seen in posts #21 and #39 above). Lets watch it grow this year. Pic #1 taken 2/08/09.

Attachments

• picresized_1235263842_IMG_8692.jpg
    picresized_1235263842_IMG_8692.jpg
    541.4 KB · Views: 361
  • picresized_th_1238798747_IMG_0717.jpg
    picresized_th_1238798747_IMG_0717.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 328
Dean,
I'm not from Czechoslovakia, I'm from Switzerland The country between Germany and Italy for those who don't know. :D

Scott,
Please, send me some if you can?
It's amazing how fast they grow!
Do you also have seedlings of Bubutyagrus to give away?

Marcel

Marcel, I will be trying the ButiaXButiagrus cross again this year. I did this cross again last fall and only got 2 seed and the Squirrels got those. Scott

Marcel, Here is a picture of the Butiagrus I have picked out for you.

Attachments

• picresized_th_1237736562_IMG_0576.jpg
    picresized_th_1237736562_IMG_0576.jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 364
Wow, that is a beautiful plant. Do you have any idea how you can send it to my country?
Ones I received a palm seedling bare rooted in a similar size in a calender roll labelled as a calender, and it went through customs with no problems. It was my B x P hybrid and came from California.
Please let me know what you need for it.
Thanks Scott.

Marcel

Marcel, I will check into the best way to send it to you. I figured that a potted seedling, with all soil washed from roots will do better than a ground dug seedling with soil removed. Scott

Sounds good. And I'm already very excited for it! :)

I compared your hybrids with the ones from Erik's Mule Palm Nursery and I find that yours look in a way more elegant.
You also wrote earlier in this thread that there could be some Jubaea in it.
That would be a big plus, since it would bring some extra hardiness.

Marcel

Marcel, I am glad you like the look of my hybrids. I was looking at the seed bed of seedlings and see a few with the red leaf base (I think turn out a more attractive hybrid and grow faster) I think I will include one of them also. Scott

Thank you very much Scott!
You are very generous. I like the red based seedling that you showed earlier also very much. Also my B x P has a bit of red in its base.

Marcel

Marcel, Here is a picture of the red trunk base seedlings.

Attachments

• picresized_th_1238797826_IMG_0578.jpg
    picresized_th_1238797826_IMG_0578.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 335
It's amazing how red they are. Do they keep the red colour when they get bigger?

Marcel

The red is lost in the second year of growth. After the second year of growth the leaf base all start showing up as black/brown. The seedlings that start with a green leaf base remain green as the palm matures. The offspring from the Butiagrus (posts 21,39,44) started with black leaf bases and remains black. The Butiagrus offspring plant is now coming into its own look. It looks as it will have a more compact leaf structure with a shorter leaf. This will be one to watch this year as I expect fast growth.

Attachments

• picresized_th_1239490778_IMG_0718.jpg
    picresized_th_1239490778_IMG_0718.jpg
    598.8 KB · Views: 323
  • picresized_th_1239490994_IMG_0717.jpg
    picresized_th_1239490994_IMG_0717.jpg
    547.2 KB · Views: 350
  • picresized_th_1239599866_IMG_0717.jpg
    picresized_th_1239599866_IMG_0717.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 333
Scott,

Is that the first and only butiagrus offspring seed that sprouted?
And have you any explanation for that, since this hybrid normally never produces seeds that can sprout. :rolleyes:
At least that's what I have read many times about this palm.
Very exciting!

Marcel

Marcel, That is the only one to sprout out of a couple hundred seed. Of the three mature Butiagrus I have growing ony one sets seed (see pictures). Last year (2007) it set hundreds of seed. I started cracking the seed open, I cracked a few dozen before I found one with endosperm. The others that were opened had a solid endocarp. I planted the other few hundred seed and will wait to see what happens. Scott

Attachments

• picresized_1238973951_IMG_6659.jpg
    picresized_1238973951_IMG_6659.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 319
  • picresized_1238974193_IMG_6643.jpg
    picresized_1238974193_IMG_6643.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 310
  • picresized_1238977430_IMG_0587.jpg
    picresized_1238977430_IMG_0587.jpg
    487.6 KB · Views: 327
Scott thanks for letting me know about this site and the great pictures within this thread. You've had great success with your hybridization efforts. I look forward to seeing what the two palms of yours I came across will turn out to be... hope something similar to those in post #39! Jv

Here are some pictures of the Hybrids palms mother. Note the leaf tips, my nickname for this palm is Lightning Bolt Palm.

Hi Scott, While on my back issues of Palms kick today I came across an article in Vol. 51 (3) sep. '07 called Boron Deficiency in Palms, by Tim Broschat. In the article is a pic of a Cocos with what he calls hook leaf. It looks exactly like the lightning bolts in your pictures. He states that it is a result of mild transient boron deficiency. This may not be the case for your palms but its food for thought, so to speak. The frustrating thing about the article is he covers only symptoms and no remedies. Although in a chart he cites borax as a means of obtaining boron for plants. I may have misread this, but I think that's what he was saying. -Justin

Hi Scott, While on my back issues of Palms kick today I came across an article in Vol. 51 (3) sep. '07 called Boron Deficiency in Palms, by Tim Broschat. In the article is a pic of a Cocos with what he calls hook leaf. It looks exactly like the lightning bolts in your pictures. He states that it is a result of mild transient boron deficiency. This may not be the case for your palms but its food for thought, so to speak. The frustrating thing about the article is he covers only symptoms and no remedies. Although in a chart he cites borax as a means of obtaining boron for plants. I may have misread this, but I think that's what he was saying. -Justin

Justin, I was thinking Boron Deficiency years ago. I feed the palm with Miracle-Gro (contains .02% Boron) every 2weeks for 2 years and have not seen a change in the leaf. A few of the Butiagrus offspring show these hooks also. Scott

It sounds like you have a trait then. Or maybe in the crossing process the new plants lack the ability to take up boron as efficiently as the parents. It's pretty interesting no matter what. For others interested in the hook leaf issue or Tim Broschat's article on boron deficiency, I found a link to the article.
In the on line article he has a recipe involving borax to treat boron deficiency.
http://flrec.ifas.ufl.edu/palm_prod/palm_nutrition.shtml

Scott great looking photos of your Hybrids. Am I understanding correctly that you are getting viable seed from you Butyagrus. As far as saving your seed from rodents. You should bag the whole seed pod and tie it off to keep out all unwanted critters and other pollen. There are plenty of knitted bags that will do the trick.

Scott great looking photos of your Hybrids. Am I understanding correctly that you are getting viable seed from you Butyagrus. As far as saving your seed from rodents. You should bag the whole seed pod and tie it off to keep out all unwanted critters and other pollen. There are plenty of knitted bags that will do the trick.

I have only gotten 1 actual palm so far out of 100s of seed. Of the 3 mature Butiagrus only 1 sets seed. I have had better luck with back crossing Butia with the Butiagrus pollen.

Marcel, Here is your first look at your palms. Butia red trunk(L) and Butiagrus(R). Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_0301.jpg
    IMG_0301.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_0302.jpg
    IMG_0302.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 338
UPDATE... grown from Butiagrus seed (post 21,39,44,55) growing fast now. Looks like its going to have lots of fibers on leaf stem.

Attachments

• IMG_0290.jpg
    IMG_0290.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_0291.jpg
    IMG_0291.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 339
  • picresized_th_1247961838_IMG_0291.jpg
    picresized_th_1247961838_IMG_0291.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 329
UPDATE... Butiagrus varigated (posts18,28,34) still showing varigation on leaflets growing in screened pool cage area,still getting sunburn to the varigated areas of leaves.

Attachments

• IMG_0300.jpg
    IMG_0300.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 325
ButiaXButiagrus (post #26 & #27) update: Can you see the blue tint to the leaves and leaf stalk? This may turn out to be a really beautiful hybrid.

Attachments

• picresized_th_1248587241_IMG_1182.jpg
    picresized_th_1248587241_IMG_1182.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 345
  • picresized_th_1248731050_IMG_1182.jpg
    picresized_th_1248731050_IMG_1182.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 353
Looks interesting Scott.

Is that going in the ground any time soon?

Dean, For now it is going in a larger pot. I would really like to put it in the ground instead of a pot. I have limited space left now and I think the Butiagrus hybrids look best as a stand alone palm. So I am going to delay the ground planting until I can get a idea on the spread it may need. I may donate to a Central FL botanical garden along with the variegated Butiagrus. I also am thinking about moving to the desert SW when I retire so they may be better off in a botanical garden in the long run.

Wow,

That would be quite a move. It would be hard to leave such a place as you've put together. However, I made a move from a nice garden as well, and am glad I made the move. But I moved from a "desert-like" San Diego to the tropics - almost the reverse of your contemplated move.

Hybrid #1 (posts 1,2 & 3) has flowered for 5 years now. It has now set a full set of fruit for the first time. The fruit is long and pointed at this time, that look like S.rom seed at same stage.

Attachments

• picresized_th_1251321231_IMG_1266.jpg
    picresized_th_1251321231_IMG_1266.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 341
  • picresized_th_1251321396_IMG_1267.jpg
    picresized_th_1251321396_IMG_1267.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 324
The Butiagrus with the variegation is looking better now that it was removed from a full sun location in July. Growth rate is slow compared to a all green Butiagrus. This palm has pushed 4 new leaves this year vs 8 on the non variegated. The leaflets are finer and softer also. This palm I believe will be a hard grow.

Attachments

• IMG_0400.jpg
    IMG_0400.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 332
The variegated hybrids have all come from using pollen from a S rom. that produces 25% all white seedlings. I have raised 4 variegated Butiagrus that the variegation is lost on the second mature leaf. The variegated Butiagrus pictured is holding on to the white variegation with 5 mature leaves. I need to save some of the green S rom seedlings to see if they will become variegated. I do think a variegated S rom would be useless as the variegation is white and burns in the sun. I may pot up a few to see what happens.

Hybrid #1 (posts 1,2 & 3) has flowered for 5 years now. It has now set a full set of fruit for the first time. The fruit is long and pointed at this time, that look like S.rom seed at same stage.

UPDATE: The seed have matured and I have cracked a few only to find solid wood. The Squirrels have not even gone after them. I will throw all the seed in the ground just in case, but I hold no hope for them.

Scott, just want to let you know that your palms are fine. They are growing nicely inside the house on a windowsill.

We are just having our first snow today! I hope spring is coming soon! Brrr....

Marcel