The Croton Garden of Robert Heredia

Jeff,

Thanks for taking the time to post all these beautiful shots. Bob has a beautiful garden and definitely has a passion for crotons. I really liked #59 and #66.

I noticed, due to his high elevation and coolness, his plants have smaller leaves than normal. Some of his varieties no doubt would have much bigger leaves in a warmer climate.

Jeff

Wow, sensory overload! Thank-you for the wonderful garden tour and for your time and effort to bring it to us. Perhaps this will encourage others to share their gardens. Up until now, our Moose hasn't had much competition. He has been great posting pictures of his new acquisitions with the names.

Wow, sensory overload! Thank-you for the wonderful garden tour and for your time and effort to bring it to us. Perhaps this will encourage others to share their gardens. Up until now, our Moose hasn't had much competition. He has been great posting pictures of his new acquisitions with the names.

Jeff Anderson has posted many interesting croton photos. Many are cultivars that evolved in Costa Rica without being named. He can not id what has not been identified. I have had the benefit of acquiring named crotons and have had the local resources to help.

If we are truly the "International Croton Society", a croton conference in Costa Rica in the future seems something that may need to be addressed by our membership. Especially if we have members from Costa Rica in my opinion. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments!

Jeff, the Croton in #59 and #66 was one of my favorites too, I've never seen that one before. Bob did mention that due to his elevation, the leaves on his Crotons are smaller than normal. That's just one of the challenges of growing them at a high elevation.

Ray, Bob is a regular reader of this forum. He checks-in daily and told me that he enjoys reading the posts here. Maybe he can answer your question since I am not sure if he is a society member or not.

Does anyone know the id for post #2? I know that Bob was interested in identifying that one in particular.

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments!

Jeff, the Croton in #59 and #66 was one of my favorites too, I've never seen that one before. Bob did mention that due to his elevation, the leaves on his Crotons are smaller than normal. That's just one of the challenges of growing them at a high elevation.

Ray, Bob is a regular reader of this forum. He checks-in daily and told me that he enjoys reading the posts here. Maybe he can answer your question since I am not sure if he is a society member or not.

Does anyone know the id for post #2? I know that Bob was interested in identifying that one in particular.

The one that Bob is standing next to looks like a possible form of Ethel Craig. The next post looks like a form of Mammey ?

:eek:

Speaking of Mammey, there is one labeled Mammey at Walmart that I need to go buy... I don't have anything like it yet...
It looks nothing like the one in post #3.:confused:

Jeff, At least you could have done, is spent some time and researched all the correct names before posting.................ah, just kidding:D Thanks for taking time to post Bob's wonderfull collection. Randy

Jeff, At least you could have done, is spent some time and researched all the correct names before posting.................ah, just kidding:D Thanks for taking time to post Bob's wonderfull collection. Randy

Randy - your comment could be catogorized as "no good deed goes unpunished" :rolleyes:

Randy - please post some photos of your crotons with id's. :eek:

LOL :p

:) Hello Bob, are you out there?
Have you registered with Palmpedia yet? We'd love to hear from you!

Hello Angela...yes I am a junior member. I have been following all of you croton folks since "Palm Talk-Other than palms" and now Int'l Croton Society"! Thanks to all the membership for all the complimentary remarks re: my collection, including Jeff Anderson's fotos...Bob (ROBERTICO) Heredia

Hello Angela...yes I am a junior member. I have been following all of you croton folks since "Palm Talk-Other than palms" and now Int'l Croton Society"! Thanks to all the membership for all the complimentary remarks re: my collection, including Jeff Anderson's fotos...Bob (ROBERTICO) Heredia
Nice to hear from you! Your garden is amazing! It is also interesting to see Crotons at elevation because we are at 2,000 ft. How cold/hot does it get at your place?

Robert - I see you checking out this forum all the time. Nice to see you post. Your croton collection is amazing. Don't hesitate to join in the fun here! :rolleyes:

Best regards,

Ron. :)

Robert - I see you checking out this forum all the time. Nice to see you post. Your croton collection is amazing. Don't hesitate to join in the fun here! :rolleyes:

Best regards,

Ron. :)

Ron...many thanks for your invite. I do plan to request help in the near future from the members of some my crotons that I cannot identify although I do possess a copy of Dr. F. Brown's Crotons of the World and I do frequent other Croton sites on line.

For Angela...the temperature on my finca (Ranch) will go down to 55-57 degrees in Dec/Jan, no frost to worry about...never, and 88 to 90 degrees in the summer. Although not extremely hot like Florida you will receive quite a burn if your not careful (altitude) and the Crotons will suffer also if not watered "religiously" in the evenings every other day.

Jeff,

Thanks for taking the time to post all these beautiful shots. Bob has a beautiful garden and definitely has a passion for crotons. I really liked #59 and #66.

I noticed, due to his high elevation and coolness, his plants have smaller leaves than normal. Some of his varieties no doubt would have much bigger leaves in a warmer climate.

Jeff

Post #59 and #66 are definite eye catchers. Just was looking over the photos Jeff Anderson posted and those jumped out to me. Remembering that Jeff Searle had said he liked two especially, I checked and found he likes the bright orange flush of color as well. Do we have anything close to this coloring on a cultivar here. I have not seen the Prince of Orange. Does it look similar? :cool:

Jeff, I'm searching and found your posts. The garen is exquisite. I like crotons, but I only have a few. As I said on that other forum, someone in my house :) is not really that interested in same. I have a few and the ones I like grow so very tall. I constantly cut off the tops and replant same. I guess if I want them small, I must continue to do that often. Is that so, or is it the type I have? Help!! Karolyn

Jeff, Do you mind if I use your pics and highlight Robert's Garden in the WIKI? You and Robert will get full credit of course. This is an exceptional croton garden and I'd hate for these pics to become buried as the board grows. Many of your pictures give a perfect example of how crotons can be utilized in the landscape too.