Official BBQ/Croton Auction Wrap-Up Thread

Jerry@TreeZoo

12/07/08
Ricky,

It was great seeing you again and, as always, seeing your wonderful garden. I did not take any pics but hopefully the people that did will post them. I am at the bottom of the heap on Croton ID and it was great seeing the experts naming this and that and disagreeing on some too.

This really was a Croton Head meeting as any non croton garnered little attention at the auction. As a Flowering Tree guy, my feelings got hurt (sob!), but I will recover.

Great food! Great plants! Great Company!

I brought my camera but when I saw Ryan snapping away, I did not bother pulling out mine. Ryan with his usual comprehensive coverage that usually follows should fully capture the spirit of this event. I look forward to his postings! :eek:

Ron. :)

Ricky, thank you so much for your hospitality, the garden tours - your garden is just beautiful - and the excellent lunch! Wow, that was delish! The auction was great, and the discussions of croton IDs were very interesting (and totally over my head of course).

I'm sorry Larry ended up not being able to come - we really thought he could, but at the last minute, it turned out otherwise. He was sad to have missed your garden and the chance to see everyone. He is thrilled with the Buddy & the Coral Showers though.

Well - while we await for some action photos to get uploaded, here is some pictures of a "Coral Shower" I got at the auction. I just love the interupted leaves! From the coloring it looks like this one wants to be in the shade. Is this correct for this cultivar? :eek:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 190
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 176
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 177
The next two pictures are "Philadelphia". Does this one need partial shade?

The last two are "Colin Kelly" or "Bruxelliensis". I dont know anything about this cultivar nor have I ever heard of it before. I really love these colors. Does anyone know its cultural requirements? :eek:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 184
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 176
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 178
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 173
Again, the Moose came through, posting his auction wins. I think that is rather nice, particularly for those not able to attend.

Ron-
Coral Shower will tolerate quite a bit of sun. This one was sitting on my pool deck for a year and did not get quite enough water last winter - which explains the old spider mite damage on the undersides of a few old leaves. It is a real classic and I'm sure you'll be pleased with it.

Colin Kelley - looks totally different from the one I got in 2001 from the Blauman's when they were in the croton game. I'll post a pic tomorrow if I remember. Same for a more mature Philip Geduldig (which means in Dutch either lucky or unlucky - forget which).

Thanks to Ricky and Karen for hosting a wonderful meeting, garden tour, and of course lunch! It was great seeing everyone and meeting some new folks. Three new memberships joined our Croton family. Moose Knuckle, Jerry @ Tree Zoo and David Currie. Welcome! I too, took some photos, but I'm sure they will not compare to Ryan's. I'll post whatever may look good for now, but the best is yet to come. Jeff was great as our auctioneer and there was quite a nice selection of plants to bid on. Almost every plant was purchased. Thanks again to everyone for your donations. Connie

Thankyou Ricky and Karen for being so gracious in openning up your house and garden. The food was great, you have raised the bar now. I enjoyed seeing everyone and missed the few that couldn't make it.

And many thanks to all of you that donated crotons and other plants to raise much needed money.

Phil Stager, here we come.......:)

Jeff

Ron-
These pics give you an idea of a larger Philip Geduldig: first one is in more light than the other two pics of same plant

Attachments

• DSCN2183.jpg
    DSCN2183.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 203
  • DSCN2187.jpg
    DSCN2187.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 199
  • DSCN2188.jpg
    DSCN2188.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 187
Wow Phil, that is some impressive coloring and I love the leaf shape. Thanks for posting the pictures! Any idea on the growth rate? Slow, Moderate or Fast? Your input is appreciated.

Best regards, :)

Ron.

Ron - the rooted cutting you bought is from me. The mother plant, in my garden, is in very deep shade and its growth is on the slow side. The original plant was found in a rundown neighborhood in East Boca, 50 feet from the train tracks. My cuttings were started around six years ago and the current height of the plant is five to six feet. I wouldn't put yours in the ground until Spring.

Thanks to Ricky and Karen for hosting a wonderful meeting, garden tour, and of course lunch! It was great seeing everyone and meeting some new folks. Three new memberships joined our Croton family. Moose Knuckle, Jerry @ Tree Zoo and David Currie. Welcome! I too, took some photos, but I'm sure they will not compare to Ryan's. I'll post whatever may look good for now, but the best is yet to come. Jeff was great as our auctioneer and there was quite a nice selection of plants to bid on. Almost every plant was purchased. Thanks again to everyone for your donations. Connie

Three new memberships is a very successful meeting in my opinion for any society! :cool: Connie deserves the credit for closing the deals, good job. :p
Where is Connie and Judy's picture Ryan? This Society has some great nick names. :eek:

Ron - the rooted cutting you bought is from me. The mother plant, in my garden, is in very deep shade and its growth is on the slow side. The original plant was found in a rundown neighborhood in East Boca, 50 feet from the train tracks. My cuttings were started around six years ago and the current height of the plant is five to six feet. I wouldn't put yours in the ground until Spring.

Thanks for the info Ricky. :) I was so excited with this acquisition that I was going to put it in the ground. You are right, I will keep it in a protected area and bring it inside for those few real cold days that would probably put a real hurting on it. :eek:

Ron. :eek:

Connie - post your photos, don't wait on Ryan. The more pictures the better. When you post yours first they will be better than the ones he has yet to post.

I am already kicking myself for not taking some pictures. :mad:

Kindest regards,

Not judging or anything, but when I see cypress mulch I just cringe.
http://saveourcypress.com/

I'll join the club when there is a meeting closer. thanks for the photos.

Dave,

We would love to have another plantsman join the Croton Society like yourself. But these garden tours / meetings are usually only every other month and range from Central to South Florida, east coast and west coast. So it might be awhile before it's near you again. Were going to Phil Stager's Garden in early December, and I will be looking forward to going there. Even though I have to leave a little early and drive straight back home, instead of sleeping over in Ft. Myers that night. I'm hosting a Christmas party that night, so I need to get my tail home.

Were going to Phil Stager's Garden in early December, and I will be looking forward to going there. Even though I have to leave a little early and drive straight back home, instead of sleeping over in Ft. Myers that night. I'm hosting a Christmas party that night, so I need to get my tail home.

Jeff, you're coming to St. Pete? Terrific! Now, um, about that great big Queen Victoria.... j/k.... i think :D

Ricky and Karen, Judy and I wanted to thank you for the wonderful hospitality, great food, and great garden. Thank you for the cutting of Alley Cat; we can't wait to see it take. We look forward to seeing you and Karen soon.

Jim & Judy Glock