USF plant sale

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
The USF Fall Plant Sale is coming up Oct 10 & 11. Will the Croton Society be there selling Crotons?

Thanks Ray, I posted the question before I saw it in Jeffs thread. I have lots of room for Crotons and I will be there.

The Tropical Flowering Tree Society does a sale at Boca City Hall in November. They are always looking for good vendors. The TFTS has a small garden at FAU and tried to do their sale there one year but it never got off the ground because of logistics and volunteer shortages.

The Boca sale usually has Gardinos, Bloomin Good and Tradewinds as vendors so you get an idea who is there. A Croton vendor might make out pretty good.

Just a reminder about the upcoming Croton Fiesta sale at USF,
The USF Fall Sale: Saturday, October 10th from 10AM—4 PM and Sunday, October 11th from 10AM—3PM. University of South Florida Botanical Gardens, 4202 E. Fowler Ave., Tampa Campus. This will be the 12th Croton Fall Fiesta event for the society. Hope to see you there!
Connie

Just a reminder about the upcoming Croton Fiesta sale at USF,
The USF Fall Sale: Saturday, October 10th from 10AM—4 PM and Sunday, October 11th from 10AM—3PM. University of South Florida Botanical Gardens, 4202 E. Fowler Ave., Tampa Campus. This will be the 12th Croton Fall Fiesta event for the society. Hope to see you there!
Connie

Yeah, I'm definitely planning on it! Connie, I got the sweeeetest crotons on Friday down at Searles - but the more crotons ya get, the more ya want. Addictive is what they are!

Andrea and I will be comming over. Were sleeping at the the Glocks house in Ft. Myers. Rob, (Borgy 230) is also coming along.

We will all be bringing some plants over for the Croton Society's booth. I look forward to seeing everyone.

Jeff

I am bummed. Due to logistics, I am unable to attend. :( Got too many crotons that need to get into the ground because of Jeff Searle feeding my new vice. Please post what cultivars where available and what crotonheads showed up. :rolleyes:

Really wish I could be there - I will not miss the meeting in December!

Best regards to all my crotonheads in Tampa. :)

Ron. ;)

Update.....

Andrea and I along with Rob, just returned today from the sale. A trip well worth attending. We arrived at 9:00am on saturday to find Lee, Connie and a couple of others finishing up the last touches to the booth. It was filled with many 1 gallon and some 3 gallon size plants with very reasonable prices on them. Many thanks for all their hard work. Actually as we were leaving there, we ran ito Ray and his wife just arriving.

I found more crotons than I thought that would make good additions to my collection. I picked up the floowing,

Cronstadt
Rubyi
Elinor Fisher
a couple of unknown hybrids
Madam Butterfly
Philip Geduldig
Earl of Derby
Elaine

It was well worth the drive to see some of the other croton people coming by. I also was able to bring a few cuttings home of Red Quill, Moth, Duke of Windsor and Veitchii.

Here are pics of my haul from USF 1) Stoplight 2) Franklin Roosevelt 3) Queen of Siam 4) Green and Gold

Attachments

• 246.jpg
    246.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 195
  • 251.jpg
    251.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 226
  • 248.jpg
    248.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 204
  • 254.jpg
    254.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 199
Also picked up these 1) Davis Hybrid 2) Reliance

Attachments

• 252.jpg
    252.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 203
  • 250.jpg
    250.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 241
Ron, I am regretting I did not get more. I had Rams Horn in my hands and did not buy it. Still kicking myself for that stupid mistake. Phase 1 of my new Croton garden is almost finished. I will start plans for Phase 2.

Hey Scott, glad to see you didn't lose your gardening spirit. When we saw you a few months back after the palm society meeting, you seemed as though you were tiring of the hobby & about ready to hang it up! Crotons are addicting for me too!

Hey Scott, glad to see you didn't lose your gardening spirit. When we saw you a few months back after the palm society meeting, you seemed as though you were tiring of the hobby & about ready to hang it up! Crotons are addicting for me too!

What I needed was color I guess. The palms needed some splash so a redo was in order. A Ti garden and a Croton garden fit the bill. Added 26 Crotons var. and up to about 30 Ti, no new palms have been added, but I did take a quick look at them at the USF sale and to say hello to Frank who got me started with the palms.

What I needed was color I guess. The palms needed some splash so a redo was in order. A Ti garden and a Croton garden fit the bill. Added 26 Crotons var. and up to about 30 Ti, no new palms have been added, but I did take a quick look at them at the USF sale and to say hello to Frank who got me started with the palms.

Scott, that's a nice Reliant. I got one of them, too, with a really nice branching to it. Great pix - really like the Green & Gold in your previous post.

Palms look so good among crotons and tis. The colors contrast nicely with green fronds. But do you ever have trouble with Tis in the summer? I've had them really lose color, worse with the Flamingo, Ti Red, and Gold-Edge. I know this is the CROTON forum, but was wondering what can be done in the hotter months?

Scott, that's a nice Reliant. I got one of them, too, with a really nice branching to it. Great pix - really like the Green & Gold in your previous post.

Palms look so good among crotons and tis. The colors contrast nicely with green fronds. But do you ever have trouble with Tis in the summer? I've had them really lose color, worse with the Flamingo, Ti Red, and Gold-Edge. I know this is the CROTON forum, but was wondering what can be done in the hotter months?

Sihara, The Reliant was the first one I grabbed, the Green & Gold should be planted at the USF campus for the school colors. As for the Ti, I have learned to put the pot where I want to plant them, wait a few weeks and see how they handle the amount of sun they receive. The Ti garden is located on the east side of my yard with a high palm canopy so they receive only late day sun. I have found that Lemon & Lime and Kiwi Tis like no direct sun. Rule of thumb I follow for Tis now: Darker color leaves more sun/ lighter colors bright light only.