Exotica Book - the 58 croton IDs

junglegal

Esteemed Member
30/03/08
Just picked up Exotica by A.B. Graf. Since I am new to crotons and ID'ing them, are there certain inaccuracies in this book that I should notate?

Thanks!

Bren

That book is great historcial reference for crotons but the photos are black and white. The best you can do is read the descriptions and match up the leaf shapes. After reading it for awhile, you end up with more questions than you had before. I do love the old name references like Anietumense (the old name for Sunray).

His follow up Tropica is riddled with mistakes and much less accurate.

If that's one of your $1 book finds, nice job.

ack, sorry, I meant say Tropica! I was looking at exotica when I typed this post.

No, I bought exotica and tropica online but at bargain prices.

Wow - I started looking for these publications since seeing this thread. I have yet to find the bargains as of yet. It took me about 8 months to find The Cycads by Loran Whitelock at a reasonable price, I guess I need to be patient. :confused:

Ron, :)

Ron,

I bought them through amazon. They were used but in excellent condition. I paid around $55 for each and included S/H.

I've seen them occasionally offered through ebay too. The only one I don't have is Hortica. That one I've yet to find at a reasonable price.

That book is great historcial reference for crotons but the photos are black and white. The best you can do is read the descriptions and match up the leaf shapes. After reading it for awhile, you end up with more questions than you had before. I do love the old name references like Anietumense (the old name for Sunray).

His follow up Tropica is riddled with mistakes and much less accurate.

If that's one of your $1 book finds, nice job.

Hmm, With so many errors in Old and new Books which do you believe? being the Hybridizers are long gone. :confused: BTW My Exotica has colored photos :D